Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Color of the Year

I've recently found myself thinking a lot about trends. All kinds. Technology. Social trends. Fragrance trends (of course). But not fashion, I'm a Capricorn, after all.


So I thought today's post would be about color trends. Every year Pantone researches worldwide socio-economic conditions to determine the color influencer for the upcoming year. Here's a snippet from their news release:


To arrive at the selection, Pantone quite literally combs the world looking for color influences. This can include the entertainment industry and films that are in production, traveling art collections, hot new artists, popular travel destinations and other socio-economic conditions. Influences may also stem from technology, availability of new textures and effects that impact color, and even upcoming sports events that capture worldwide attention.


The 2012 color of the year, drum roll please, is Tango Tangerine. 


According to to the Pantone website, 


Reminiscent of the radiant shadings of a sunset, Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy.  Over the past several years, orange has grown in popularity and acceptance among designers and consumers alike. A provocative attention-getter, Tangerine Tango is especially appealing in men’s and women’s fashion.


Personally, when I first heard the news, my reaction was, "Hmmm....." I'm not an orange person.  But the more I see the color, the more I like it.  It is more red and appealing to me than I first thought.  Here are another image of the color from the Pantone website:




So, what are your thoughts? Do you follow color trends, and do you use them in your daily life or business?

14 comments:

  1. Hi, Dorene!!! :) It's nice to meet you and thank you very much for this post!!! :D :) This gives me a lot of food for thought and will be VERY helpful for this year in regards to what I choose to sell in my vintage store so thank you, again!!! :) In regards to clothing, I march to the beat of my own drum and always have so I never follow color trends... They DO have an influence on things I buy for my home, though (home decor, etc.), and now thinking about what to offer in my store so thank you very much, again!!! :) Very helpful post!!! :D :)

    ~Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always keep in mind what colour is 'in' if I am told but I never actively seek out trending colours. I tend to just spot what colour is on trend by see what people in the high street and in the media are wearing. I am not an orange person either but I do like this shade. Thanks for great post!
    ~Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using Pantone's color trend reports for inspiration for new bead combinations and ideas. But if I don't love certain colors they've forecasted, I don't use them, or I find a different shade of it that I like better to use. Gotta keep on trend to offer fresh ideas to my customers! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! I don't think it looks orange at all, which is great, because I dislike that color. The red comes off real well and it's very powerful. I can't wait to start creating with that color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never have before, but maybe I should. I don't like orange though, not even that shade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not orange person as well, and you know what now that im thinking about it I don't have any garment in orange ... That so funny Ha :)
    Thank You for Sharing Dorene !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing what the 'trendy' colors are and will often make items accordingly. As far as what I wear, I have to go with my own spirit here.

    Fun to see, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DID YOU KNOW there was a whole Oprah show dedicated to things women should wear to woo men!! and one of them was this orangey red color!!! apparently, it is the color that makes men most likely to give women things! so get a tangerine tango coat pronto! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same seeing just the square I was like hmm...but on the dress it looks hot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love colors - especially those in fabrics! I like how your blog background coordinates with tangerine :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well after reading Borneo's comment about this, I'm going out to get me some tangerine tango :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unique Cozy Treasures - I love the oranges and reds, so love this orange/red Pantone color. It seems important to follow these design trends when creating items for consumers, since they seem to follow the trends. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful color, but I always wear what works best with my skin tone :) I think this one may work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this color. Although I may not wear it. I would definately have it in my home. Because I think it's warm, inviting and it also attracts abundance...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...