Saturday, May 11, 2013

Painted Votive Candleholders

In preparation for the spring craft show season, I decided to add some accessories to my product line.  I needed something, quick, easy.  I had already decided to add a few shabby chic rose votive holders:

Get the instructions here!
but still felt I needed something more.  I decided to try my hand at painting some glass jars.  So, I gathered some paint, sponges, glass jars, and these amazing stencils:

Plaid Peel & Stick Stencils
Word to the wise, I think these stencils work best on flat objects, not rounded ones like I used.  These stencils have enough tack for up to 20 uses and are washable. I found them extremely easy to wash between uses then put back on the plastic until I was ready to use again.

For the flower pot votive candle holders, I used the long stencil on the bottom:


Dabbled with two or more colors (here's the stencil in reuse):


Each took less than five minutes. Here are some finished products:


I also used the larger flower stencils on some roly poly candle holders:



Another project I tried but did not feel quite as successful was to create "stained glass" candle holders.  Using the flower pots and two colors of paint, I painted vertical lines/squares in one color and horizontal lines/squares in the others:


I like the blue version, but am not fond of the red and yellow. Maybe my Chi Omega sisters would enjoy!  It's ok to let the streak lines appear - they add to the direction the paint was used.

So, we'll see how these work next week, when I hope to participate in the first show of the season. Wish me luck!

*Votive candle holders, Libbey Glass Outlet
*Paints and stencils, Plaid from Hobby Lobby
*Votive candles, D'Lites by Dorene


Don't have time to make your own? Please email me for information on custom orders!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...